Friday, April 19, 2013

Becoming a Dad - the start of it all

In the beginning...

My wife and I first found out that we were going to have our first baby in November 2012 (I think...that's when we found out..yikes, she will not be pleased). We had recently moved into a new larger house in anticipation that one day we would have kids. We both had decent jobs, a new four bedroom house, some of her friends and a lot of my friends had babies already and we were both pretty excited that eventually we would create a family.


My wife went off "the pill" and we didn't put pressure on ourselves to conceive, we had the attitude that we will go about daily life and if it happens.... it happens.

Let's get personal...

I think it took three tries and then one day after work she came downstairs with an OMG face and thrusted her hand out holding something. To be honest, I was a little scared and my mind started to race. Was I in trouble? Did I do something wrong? Was this an over reaction to leaving the toilet seat up?
Then I saw the "pee stick" (I believe that is the technical medical term for it) and realized why she had the OMG face. Then I had the OMG face. I was elated and then started thinking could this be true? Is this a possible false positive? I begged her to pee on another stick (again, I believe that is the technical medical term) to make sure. After seeing her doctor we got confirmation. All systems go! I was very excited and wanted to tell everyone immidiately but new it would be best to wait. Those first three months were excruciating. We did have to tell the future grandparents as travel plans were already in the works and flights were about to be booked. Our little news was going to alter all of those travel plans. Telling the grandparents was a joy and provided some release of excitement. It also provided us with an outlet to talk to someone about it (other then ourselves) and who better than mom and dad.

Next up: It just got real!










1 comment: